You’ve just entered a new stored procedure and you run your web page which uses it and WHAM! – you get this error message. Luckily, it’s not too bad.
Recently, I found out our SQL Server was storing events in UTC time. An application I was creating needed to get a list of events that happened on a certain certain day. Since our Central Standard Time was a little off, I had to come up with a fix for this. I had a parameter […]
If you’ve been working with new columns or renaming columns in a table and when you go to the stored procedure, the column names are underlined in red and hovering over them shows an ‘Invalid Column Name’ description, don’t worry, it’s not as bad as it seems.
This happened to me in both 2012 and 2014 SQL Server installations (on a clean Windows 2012 R2 installation) and frustrated me to no end. It was super hard just to get all the extra apps uninstalled. What happens is that installation fails when installing Setup Support files. It just hangs and won’t go any […]
I hate to admit that I’m behind the curve in this area, but I just saw a demonstration of PowerView today and was very impressed.
When using SQL Server Management Studio, sometimes (especially during testing phases) it becomes necessary to enter data manually. It’s easy when you actually want to enter text via specific datatypes, but what do you do when you want to force a field to null?
You can show SSRS reports (although in rdlc format other than rdl) in your ASP.Net applications fairly easily with the ReportViewer control. But one of the most powerful weapons available is the ability to use Expressions to make the report do or show different things dynamically.
Recently I’ve been working on several stored procedures for DotNet applications and, though they were created successfully, when creating and editing them in the SQL Server Management Studio window, some, but not all of the column names in the list to be selected/inserted/updated would have the well-known red squiggly lines beneath them, and the tooltip […]
I came upon a strange situation, that I had to really work with, to get it done. My website databases were all done in 2008, and backups would not work across hosts in my case (using .bak or detaching and getting .mdf files). So I went about learning to downgrade, since my new host used […]
For quite a while, to rename a database, you could just execute the system stored procedure called ‘sp_renamedb': EXEC sp_renamedb ‘OldName’, ‘NewName’ At one point though, as I understood it, the word was that it would not be supported after 2005.
All Things DotNet Discussed – Winforms/ASP.Net/SharePoint/WPF