Let’s say you decide you have built a list or library and it has content, but you need to reorganize and move it to another sub site. It’s really easy in SharePoint 2010. It’s not so much a ‘Move’ as it is a ‘Save and then Create’ type of action.
- Click on the List or Library and go to the click on its Settings link (either List Settings or Library Settings)
- Under the heading: Permissions and Management, there is a link to Save (document library or list) as Template – click that link
- Give the Template a File name, a Template Name, and, if you would like to include all the content, make sure the ‘Include Content’ checkbox is clicked/selected. Remember the name you gave it because you will need it later.
- Then, click the ‘OK’ button.
- You will see a message that the ‘Operation has Completed Successfully. You will also see a link for its respective template gallery in order to manage templates, but for now, just click the OK button.
- Navigate to the site in which you would like to add the list or library.
- Click on the ‘View All Items’ link under ‘Site Actions’
- There you will find the site template you just created under its respective heading. Click on it.
- Give it a name and Description, and click the ‘Create’ button.
In case this is a one of a kind type of List or Library, and you want to remove it from the Template Gallery, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the top-level site
- Click on ‘Site Settings’ under the ‘Site Actions’ menu item.
- Under the ‘Galleries’ heading, click on the ‘List Templates’ link
- Click the checkbox beside the Template you want to delete. This will open the ‘Documents’ ribbon bar.
- In the ‘Manage section, click on the ‘X’. (If you hover over it, you will see ‘Delete Document’)
- You will receive a warning to make sure you want to delete the selected item (send it to the site Recycle bin). Click the ‘OK’ button.
- That’s all there is to it.
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.